Super accurate weather app for BlackBerry 10
It seems fitting that as much of eastern North America is blanketed in snow that I would talk about a new weather app for BlackBerry 10. The team at The Weather Network/MétéoMédiaworked in partnership with BlackBerry to develop an innovative weather forecasting application designed specifically for BB10.
This new weather app for BlackBerry 10 has all the features we are accustomed to seeing from The Weather Network/MétéoMédiaworked in its desktop apps but tweaked to take advantages of the abilities of BB10. The Weather Network app for BlackBerry 10 key features include:
• Peek feature allows users to switch easily between storm and extreme weather alerts and the forecast for easy multi-tasking during active weather.
• PointCast uses The Weather Network’s exclusive technology to provide personal forecasts using a Canadian postal code, U.S. ZIP code or GPS on mobile device. Forecasts are narrowed down to within one kilometer of where you are.
• Picture and video upload capabilities lets users submit weather-related content to The Weather Network direct from their BlackBerry 10 devices.
• Detailed weather forecasts including current, short-term, long-term (day and night), 14 day trend (day and night) and hourly forecasts for user’s favourite locations.
• Active weather alerts and public safety warnings delivered direct to users’ BlackBerry 10 device.
• BBM sharing functionality lets users share the app with their friends via BlackBerry Messenger.
I tested the new Weather Network app on a BlackBerry Z10 and found it lived up to the promises made by the developer.
“As a Canadian leader in mobile app development, The Weather Network is delighted to launch the first major weather information app for BlackBerry 10,” said Gita Ashar, Director of Mobile Applications and Emerging Technologies at The Weather Network. “The team has worked closely with RIM to develop a unique and interactive app that will provide BlackBerry 10 users in Canada, the U.S. and beyond with the most up-to-date weather information direct to their new devices.”
The Weather Network’s new BlackBerry 10 app draws on the device’s native features, like the new built-in camera, allowing users to upload photos onto The Weather Network website for a more engaging weather-forecasting experience. Follow-Me functionality detects a user’s location automatically to determine the local forecast, while BlackBerry 10’s new Peek feature is also incorporated for easy multi-tasking.
TheWeather Network weather app for BlackBerry 10 app worked well on the Z10 with smooth transitions from page to page and the peek function provided a quick look at the blowing snow alert. I am quite impressed with he accuracy of 6 month old Pointcast feature..on the desktop as on the Z10 I have found it to be bang on most of the time.
This is my Weather app of choice on all of my devices Desktop, Android and iOS as well as BB10. It is available for free in English or French from the platform appropriate store and for BB10 from the new BlackBerry World store.