Words matter! Everyone needs a Thesaurus
If words matter, anyone who does any writing at all even if it’s just emails needs a thesaurus, especially if you want to keep your writing bright and interesting. And who doesn’t want to write memorable prose
So it was a no-brainer for me when I saw that the publishers of my favorite dictionary app Dictionary.com had just launched Thesaurus Rex which offers the first significant upgrade to any thesaurus in more than a century. “Because the English language is so dynamic, most people would be shocked to learn how static the world’s thesauri have been – there hasn’t been a substantive update to any major thesaurus in about 160 years,” said David Wygant , VP of Product, Dictionary.com. “A re-envisioned thesaurus is long-overdue, and Dictionary.com is thrilled to offer it.”
Thesaurus Rex places the most up-to-date collection of synonyms and antonyms right at the fingertips of anyone looking for just the right term with features such as:
- Relevance: rank synonyms and discover the “best match” based on how closely a term’s sense matches with the sense of the word you searched.
- Complexity: sort synonyms based on their difficulty, adjusting the filter to either simplify or peruse terms that are moredifficult, unusual or complex.
- Length: filter synonyms based on character count – perfect for writing sparse advertising copy, lengthening an essay, or scaling to the specified length of any project.
- Favorites: create your own unique lists of favorite synonyms, so you don’t have to keep looking up the same word.
- Examples & Tips: avoid common mistakes with usage notes and example sentences. (an in-app upgrade)
- Word Origin & History: access important context and background on the words you search. (included with above in-app upgrade)
- Rhymes & Syllables: enrich poetry and song lyrics with a comprehensive rhyming dictionary that allows you to sort by exact number of syllables. (in app-upgrade)